Sunday, February 01, 2009

I wish I could tell you what I've been up to this week, but it's top secret and it would probably bore you anyway. It's pretty darn exciting to me though, and it's really consumed pretty much my every waking hour -- Julie was ready to divorce me Saturday night at 11pm, going on my 80th hour or so this week, and I had said about three words all week to anyone (unless muttering to myself counts). I just had my head wrapped around this project and I was trying like a mad-man to get it coded.

You ever see a comic where the dude has a light-bulb go on over his head? Yeah, that's pretty much what happened, only times 1000.

I haven't done math like this since grad school, and I remember now why I got into engineering in the first place. Yes, I'm uber-geek, but that's okay, it pays the bills. I'm actually chomping at the bit right now to get back to it. It's still running through my head and I'm just dying to get back to it. But a day of rest will probably do me a lot of good.

Juliette and Chris, I heard, are moving to Colorado! Yay! They couldn't be much further away and still living Colorado, but they are technically in Colorado. Grand Junction, actually. It's a very nice place to live, like totally incredible. There are places within an few minutes drive there that are mind-bogglingly beautiful. The area itself is pretty much ideal, I think. Good luck to them in their move. I hate moving, so I'm sure they're not thrilled about packing everything up and moving into the unknown, but it is an adventure.

There's a pretty cool bike race there I'll have to do so I can stop in and see their new place.

After reading Grandma Gwynne's auto-biography I'm pretty sure that we have no idea what adventure even means these days. Putting all your stuff in a comfy large moving van and driving in air-conditioning a few hours away is not quite the same as breaking down in interior Alaska, winter setting in, in an army surplus jeep which contains all your family and all your posessions and $50. And then say, "hey this is nice, I think we should live here." That's truly an adventure.

2 comments:

Blogging and Bliss said...

WOW totally true I find myself thinking of all those PIONEERS and going man I have it so easy and I still can't manage to keep the dishes done??? HUH? Thanks for the great post I find your insights funny and enjoy reading them...

celestia whitehead said...

So work is still challenging and fun for you! Great! Sounds like you are on a roll. I don't want to be a downer, but just a word of caution. You remind me of a man I used to know and love. He could go for days without sleep just juicing on computer tech stuff. He was such a pioneer in the field and it probably seems simple to you now, but it grabbed his imagination and his tendency to obsess fed into it. I don't know if you can pace genius, but take care to refuel yourself, sweetheart. And somehow, work in your family. Remember how you felt when Dad paid any attention at all to you. I sometimes think of the movie "a beautiful mind." Van's boss, Al, said to me,when Van got sick, "I guess it's the brightest stars that burn out fastest." I am thankful that you are a lot healthier physically than Dad was. I'm proud of you for your quick wit, your spirituality, and your ability to do some things that really take intelligence and an advanced education. I think of my dad, too, and how brilliant he was. You get intellignce from both sides. Have fun, and I'm sure Julie will be glad when you have "cracked the case".I love you. Mom